Thursday, December 3, 2009

Whole Foods Parenting



I was browsing through the great Free Range Kids site the other day, after rewatching "Food, Inc." with some family members, and it occured to me that the metaphor could be carried even further. Don't many of my goals in parenting correlate pretty much exactly to my ideals in food? I want Lily to be free-range, as above, and also cage-free, as much as possible. I would like her to be largely grass-fed, and pray that I can keep her free of growth hormones, antibiotics, and preservatives. Cruelty-free should go without saying. Finally, I aspire to enjoy her locally and seasonally as much as I can manage.

Shouldn't I want as much for my kids as I do for my food sources?

3 comments:

  1. Nice post on Dou-la-la and it helps a lot.

    If you are a person who want to learn about parenting and love your family then you should enjoy

    the content of this blog http://todayscliche.com/. Because I did and hope you would love too.

    You have a nice blog. Keep up the good work.

    Thanks,
    karim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, one of the food metaphors that definitely does NOT fit is spam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I think PhD in Parenting has a bunch of posts up about how breastfeeding and attachment parenting overlap with the Slow Food movement.

    ReplyDelete